Like Us On Facebook
Our History & Purpose
The first meeting of local businesswomen to discuss the possibility of a women's chamber was held in February, 1993. In April, a survey identified needs not being met by existing organizations. SCWCC officially incorporated as a not-for-profit organization under IRS code Section 501c(6). In the summer and fall, the Board of Directors and committees were filled.
The first program, "Request for Success," with speaker Kat Jorstad and sponsored by Bank One, was held at the Antlers Doubletree Hotel with more than 157 in attendance. The first Holiday Luncheon was held on December 9th, with speaker Donna Pagano. More than 120 people attended and membership has grown to 85 members.
The Chamber is organized to promote and encourage the advancement of Southern Colorado Women in commerce and government, business, and industry; acting as a voice on key issues and concerns of women in commerce; monitoring local, state, and federal legislation and policies affecting women in business; identifying training and resource needs for the membership; providing a forum for the exchange of technical information; developing and participating in programs with industry and educational institutions that benefit women in commerce. All necessary means of promotion, encouragement and support shall be provided and particular emphasis shall be given to the economic, civic, commercial, and educational interests of women in commerce.
- Offer programs that address critical issues concerning women in business
- Offer educational workshops on topics of interest to business women
- Provide networking opportunities for business development, mentoring and camaraderie
- Provide a forum for women in transition to identify new career opportunities or start a business
- Develop special events matching small business with local corporate opportunities
- Promote community involvement
- Prepare future generations of women in business through mentorship and references
- Promote membership in other local business organizations